Sunday 3 April 2022

Of love and poetry



"If poetry comes not naturally,
as leaves to a tree,
let it not come at all."

We meet past sunset
like smugglers of the night.
I forget duties, responsibilities,
To glance a chance of your smile.
Like Porphyria's lover
My mind too twitches
Battles violent thoughts
to bind you and keep you forever
and yet
"If poetry comes not naturally..."

Definite and untouchable like the horizon
marked is the line
between passion and obsession.
To be moved to forget the world
is a poet's dictum.
To forget oneself, costs the soul...
I avert my eyes,
walk the other way.
Feelings come to the living
as leaves to a tree.

Still I toe the line,
struggle to kill the agony.
Write in abandon
of mirth and hurt and blurt and scribble
Offer everything from the sky to the ground.
Break nibs and hearts alike
Write love letters till mailboxes overflow.
Patiently I wait for your return.
But, Beloved, if you are not to come with open arms
Let poetry not come at all.

The above poem is for the NaPoWriMo2022. Day 3. The prompt was to write a glosa poem that responds and uses a verse from another poem. But I've already done an "in-response" poem before so I chose to poetise one of Keats's famous axioms and tried to work with it. It was a busy day and I'm not sure if Keats would've loved this but I did my best.

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely wonderful, and a treat to read! I loved reading it so much, from start to finish. Not a single miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wrote this in a hurry, so I was really worried about the flow 🙈

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much A :D high praise coming from you!

      Delete