Friday 8 April 2022

Girl in the mirror


Raven hair bleeding amethyst

Were you born this way?

An homage to your master's soul

Never loud yet never tame.


Her voice, it never booms or shrills

simply nestles in one's mind,

like a woodpecker set on making home,

chipping through the thickest skin.


Time and again, and in vain,

I clown her stance and style,

she laughs baring ratty teeth

but God, all hearts to her smile.


Curling lips that stubborn set

when ink needled her shoulder then leg,

Tattoos only accentuate now

her confidence wills their prides to bend.


Like Alice who walked right through the glass, 

I yearn to hurtle towards you,

tackle your beauty with open arms,

soak in your radiance, meld into you.


Though I am you and you I,

like Alice and the Other World,

We are separated

through realities.


You brave forests, continents,

report matters of consequence.

And I dream, glazed eyes trained at my laptop,

chilled in comforts I perhaps deserve.


To meet your self is ill-fated.

So I do not pray for a union,

But desperate, I hope our distance be measured

in light years I can catch up to.


The above poem is for the NaPoWriMo2022. Day 8. Prompt: Create your alter-ego and then write in its voice. Except I wrote to her instead of for her.

4 comments: