Monday 11 April 2022

Balking love


The Earth frustrates

at the blinding smog

that masks the blushing morning sky.

And I grow tired

of the curved Earth

that lengthens you from I.


If the sky and I had the means

we'd tear these foes asunder,

Strip down to our very being

'fore resigning (in you arms) in slumber.


Will you hesitate?

Will you recoil at such a spectacle?

a body disfigured, discoloured,

an unripe fruit

exposed too early, harshly, to afternoon sun,

unsweet in places with dirt-like texture,

a ruddy pink that flatters none,

with blackened marks in sight,

At this, will your hand retract in fright?


They say Atlas is cursed

all eternity

to keep lovers apart.

Yet more than Lord or land,

What keeps me from you

is my self-doubt.


The above poem is for the NaPoWriMo2022. Day 10. The prompt is "a love poem." A combined this with @literarychills prompt for NaPoWriMo2022 - the colour of my being.

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderfully relatable poem! I have often thought about this and I love that you have voiced it out loud in your poem!!!

    ReplyDelete